Saturday, March 20, 2010

A picket will be held in Dublin on Saturday 27th March 2010 in support of Irish Republican prisoners : this picket will be held near the spot where Irish patriot Robert Emmet - himself a political prisoner - was executed in 1803.....




From "A FENIAN BALLAD" [aka "Sweet Iveleary"]
By JEREMIAH O’DONOVAN ROSSA
(pictured above) :

".. I joined the Redcoats then – mo lein! – what would my father say?
And I was sent in one short year on service to Bombay.

I thought to be a pauper was the greatest human curse
But fighting in a robber’s cause I felt it ten times worse!
I helped to plunder and enslave those tribes of India’s sons
And we spent many a sultry day blowing sepoys from our guns.

I told these sins to Father Ned, the murder and the booty.
These were no sins for me, he said, I only did my “duty” ...

No sin to kill for English greed in some far foreign clime
How can it be that patriot love in Ireland is a crime?
How can it be, by God’s decree, I’m cursed, outlawed and banned?
Because I swore one day to free my trampled native land."


....the picket in support of those who have been "...cursed , outlawed and banned.." will , as stated , be held on Saturday 27th March 2010 outside St Catherine's Church in Thomas Street , Dublin , between 12 Noon and 2pm. These prisoners have been jailed because they fought against a 'robbers cause' , and deserve our support.
ALL WELCOME !
Thanks!
Sharon.