Friday, April 25, 2008

IRISH ATHLETES PHYSICALLY PROTEST THE OLYMPICS....

Two Irish athletes protest over the political nature of the Olympics :
Peter O'Connor ,Waterford (or Wicklow or England?) , and Limerick man Con Leahy staged a highly visible political protest on the claims that they were part of the 'United Kingdom' or 'Great Britain' team - they did this by raising an Irish Flag to the top of the 200 foot mast which dominated the stadium in Athens...

Peter O' Connor...



...and Con Leahy.


Erin go Bragh: The King Of Spring....

"My name's Duncan Campbell from the shire of Argyll
I've travelled this country for many's the mile
I've travelled through Ireland, Scotland and a'
And the name I go under's bold Erin-go-bragh

One night in Auld Reekie as I walked down the street
A saucy big polis I chanced for to meet
He glowered in my face and he gi'ed me some jaw
Sayin' "When cam' ye over, bold Erin-go-bragh?"

(From here)

Contrast the above with this - 'Frank Greally, spokesman for the Athletics Association of Ireland, admitted the political atmosphere was "getting quite stormy", but said he couldn't see any athletes "...breaking ranks .There is lots of pressure, but it is more political pressure than anything involving the athletes."
Management for medal hopeful Derval O'Rourke indicated that she did not wish to comment on politics, but was "just going out there to . . . hopefully win a medal".'
(From here.)

"It is only the superficial qualities that last . Man's deeper nature is soon found out."
Oscar Wilde.
Shame on them.
Sharon.