Wednesday, August 17, 2005

THE INEVITABILITY OF SECTARIAN COLLISION .......
GEORGE SEAWRIGHT , the tough-talking Scotsman and self-proclaimed "honest bigot" from the Shankill Road , is a DUP member of both Belfast City Council and the Northern Assembly . He is also the politician most closely associated with the Loyalist paramilitaries .
He believes that the rise of Sinn Fein has made an armed confrontation between the forces of Loyalism and Republicanism inevitable .
From 'FORTNIGHT' magazine , May 1984 .

George Seawright (DUP) thinks that the Unionists' use of 'bluff' is important in Republican thinking - " I believe that within the Provisional leadership there are those who believe that basically the Protestants are bluffing and will not put up a sustained armed resistance . "

What this fails to take into account , says Seawright , is the hard core from areas like the Shankill Road and East Belfast who will fight a united Ireland to the death - " The only question is how many of that type of Loyalist would rise to the fore ? " Those determined to fight , Seawright believes , could be incorporated into a totally overhauled , broad-based Loyalist paramilitary structure .

He admits that at present in many Loyalist circles , the paramilitaries are a 'dirty word' for gangsterism and racketeering , and law-abiding Protestants want nothing to do with them . But he goes on - " What will happen in the 1980's , if Loyalists are to get their act together , is that paramilitarism is going to have to become acceptable to the broad mass of the Loyalist people . In that situation you could have a Loyalist paramilitary force working in conjunction with a political brain and the goal could be a provisional government ... " .......

(MORE LATER).




THE IRA HAS TO DO WHAT THE IRA HAS TO DO .......
The Sinn Fein electoral wagon is slowing down . As a result , the IRA is likely to begin stepping up its war against the Northern State . GENE KERRIGAN reports from Belfast and also interviews Sinn Fein's DANNY MORRISON on the party's recent successes and failures .
From ' MAGILL ' magazine , September 1984.

'MAGILL' magazine : " But the 'left-right' division remains . The 'right' are still there and the 'left' has yet to prove that its ideas are paying off . "

Danny Morrison ; " I think it has paid off . If you look at things from October 1982 onwards there have been occasions when , say for example , the IRA for whatever reason has'nt been as active , perhaps through some form of difficulties or other , for maybe a month at a time . You've had Sinn Fein electoral results making a big impact and demoralising the Brits and making the news in Britain and internationally , both in October 1982 and June 1983 .

Ken Livingstone's visit here in February 1983 , Gerry Adams going to London after the exclusion order was lifted in July 1983 - all of those things have been very important in terms of the struggle .

I think the Republican Movement , through having elected representatives , has increased credibility . It does make it easier - for example , Clive Soley was here talking to us two weeks ago - that makes it easier for people like that to engage in discussion and to realise that we have'nt got horns and to realise that what we are saying , that there is validity to it . "

(MORE LATER).




THE INTERROGATION OF STEPHEN MOORE ....... .
On 11 July 1986 , Stephen Moore , from Clones in County Monaghan , accepted £25,000 plus costs to settle an action out of court .
He had sued 'Ireland' and the Attorney General for injuries he had received in garda custody in Monaghan Garda Station in March 1983 .
In that same year , John Milne received £51,900 for injuries sustained at the hands of two named gardai in that same garda station . He was also awarded costs .
Despite the fact that more than £75,000 has been paid out as a result of garda activity in Monaghan Garda Station , no garda has been charged with a criminal offence . In fact , some of the gardai who were accused have been promoted .

In his own words , this is Stephen Moore's description of what happened to him in garda custody -

- " They put me in a squad car and I was taken to Monaghan . There were two gardai in the front and two in the back and I was in the middle . I asked to make a telephone call . There was no problems . They said OK , like . I rang home . I told my mother and father where I was , that I had been transferred to Monaghan . I was interviewed by about four Detectives , in pairs of two , until about ten (o'clock) as far as I can make out . My watch , my gutties (shoes) and a few bob in my pocket was taken .

They were asking me about a hi-jacking of a Post Office van at Clontivern , County Fermanagh . There was no ill treatment . There was no problems . Plunkett Taaffe , Solicitor , arrived in . He advised me to make a statement to the gardai . I made it . I said in the statement that I did not wish to make a statement now or in the near future . That was it . When Plunkett Taaffe left , I was put back in my cell .

That was the end of Saturday night . No problems . I slept between twelve and nine . I had no worries , I slept . My family visited me on Sunday morning for about half an hour . When they left , I was taken to a place called the ' Doctor's Room ' . I suppose it was about eleven o' clock on Sunday . As far as times are concerned , it's guesswork . I had no watch . There was an interview with two Detectives . I did'nt know their names at that stage . They had a statement written out . They were trying to force me to sign it . The statement was in reference to the hi-jacking . They were trying to force me to sign it . They were pushing me from one to the other ....... " .......

(MORE LATER).